METAMOR: a new word for positive, older people...GROWING older (not getting older)

I was thinking that there needs to be a new word to replace "senior" in our language. I was thinking that aging brings about change....physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual changes. The new word needs to describe that transformation....so I began to think of butterflies and the change they undergo getting there. Metamorphosis came to mind...and then "metamor" emerged from that word. Now, not everyone who is getting older can be a "metamor". I see this word only applying to people who embrace the changes associated with living a longer life. I see metamors as people like my mother who are positive despite difficulties that she encounters as she ages. I see metamors as people like my friend, David, who is still advising a Boy Scout troop at age 95 or Vi who is still teaching classes at age 97 or Richard who continues to write books into his 80s. I see metamors as people who don't retreat from life. They see themselves contributing to the world no matter what. Their bodies and even their minds can be failing them, but they still see themselves, at their core, as people who can give and receive love and much, much more. If an older person wants to become a metamor, they must "metamorph". In fact, someone could say, I am "metamorphing" instead of saying "I'm retired." Metamors view every day as a GIFT and they say "Bring it on!" to each day of life. I like the idea that Metamor means BEYOND MORE. Let us all aspire to be a metamor as we age!

Comments

Dick Ambrosius said…
Beth,
As you know, I love your passion for what you do and the people you serve. Trying to find a replacement term has been going on for over 30 years. In the late 80's, I authored an article entitled "The best label for older people is no label at all." I stand by that opinion.

The people you describe are individuals with purpose making incredible contributions - and no doubt always have in many cases. I actually like the Metamor metaphor for the later stages of life, but not as yet another descriptor.
Carol Orsborn said…
Hi Beth,
I love the notion of Metamor--but any word that needs a description with it to understand the metaphore (no pun intended) will be hard to catch on. That said, what do you think of Megamor? Or Megamore? Someone who loves reaching ultimates?

Carol Orsborn
p.s. We've been trying to name our membership at VibrantNation.com...which has been defying labels. Amongst us, some call ourselves "The Vibes" but nothing has stuck. The notion of Vibrant Nation is something that has resonated, however--but it's a state of mind encompassing a community, not the individual, herself. Plus, we're much younger, generally--50+...